Rachel Reese, the present mayor is standing for re-election, but did not (think it important enough?) to reply,
Pete Rainey is presently a city councillor and is now standing for mayor,
Graeme O'Brien and RIchard Ormaston are not presently on council.
* Scores with an asterisk, indicates this candidate supports the Southern Link roading expansion despite the 2011 Arterial Study showing it the was not needed for 20 years and lack of it was not harming the economic wellbeing of the City.
Click candidate photo or name to view more information
Nelson Mayor Summary
Mayoral candidates were asked the following questions:
- What is your view on climate change, and how do you think Nelson City Council should react to it?
- Which of the Nelson 2060 Goals would you prioritise?
- What do you see as the most effective methods for Nelson City to encourage reduction of greenhouse gas emissions?
- Do you think single occupant car commuting is a major cause of our road congestion? If so, how do you think this could be changed?
- Do you think it a good idea to prioritise making it safe for the majority of children to get to school by active transport, ahead of expanding roading capacity? If so do you have any ideas of how this might be done?
- Do you think public transport needs to be improved in Nelson? If so, how?
- What are your thoughts on a dedicated, frequent summertime beach bus connecting the Nelson City Centre to Tahunanui beach?
- Should Council reintroduce electric buses on the Nelson - Richmond Route?
- What do you think would encourage uptake of electric vehicles in Nelson?
- What are your views on allowing more townhouses close into city and suburban centres as a means of minimising the need to use a car?
Building Regulations and Urban Planning
- Do you agree that we should be finding ways to reduce the lifetime energy costs of new buildings? If so, how would you go about doing this?
- What is your opinion on the densification of residential housing as a way of decreasing our carbon footprint per dwelling, while also improving affordability, quality and availability of housing?
- How would you encourage Nelson City Council to respond to the threat of sea level rise? Eg Raise the floor level of new buildings in hazard areas as per Niwa Report.
- What would be your approach to the managed retreat option for properties and structures at high risk from flooding and/or erosion due to sea level rise?